Friday, August 24, 2007

Podcasts - learning method great for auditory learners

Podcasts are another learning vehicle. Each of us learn in different ways -- seeing (visual learners) hearing (auditory learners) and by doing (tactile learners). Generally, we have a favourite learning style. This web site outlines more learning styles.

If you learn well by listening, podcasts are made for you. There are a number of ways to find podcasts. There are directories for this specific purpose. I was amazed at the number of podcasts that are available on a wide range of topics. I like to know the background of the podcaster - what are their qualifications?

A wiki article entitled Podcasting 101 includes LIS friendly podcasts as well as an explanation of podcasts.

Through a search relating to Library 2.0 at http://podcastalley.com/ , I found the SirsiDynix Insitute podcasts. These are learning podcasts for those working in libraries. The challenge to downloading is the time that it takes to do so. I tried a 28 MB file and it took 15 minutes to download. Most of the files are over 50 MB. Using this means, it appears you can only download and listen on your computer but not to save them to listen to later. This is a link to the SirsiDynix Institute website.

I added a Bloglines feed for Family Roots Radio. I had heard about this through a mailing list. Last season they did 13 sessions. What I like about this set is that there are different options. They maintain a website where you can find the Internet links they are talking about and follow the instructions as you listen to the podcast. I only listened to one of the programs live last year as I always seemed to be busy when they were on at 4 p.m. EST on Thursdays. The host of the radio program is noted professional genealogist Kory Meyerink. Profiles of the guest speakers are outlined on the web site. When I was in Salt Lake City for a research academy course through the National Institute for Genealogical Studies, he was one of my instructors.

I have downloaded several to my hard drive (this is one of the options) and I want to download the rest. While I download the files, I just go about my household chores. By having the web site available. several learning styles are accommodated at the same time. - auditory, visual and tactile (if you visit the web sites as they talk about them.).

I hope that they will continue the series. Genealogists and reference librarians serving genealogists will find this series helpful.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Janet,

    I have really enjoyed reading your blog. You have pointed me in some wonderful directions for further learning. Thank you for your insightful posts!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated before being posted. Please no links in your comments. The blog author reserves the right to not post a comment if deemed inappropriate.