Saturday, March 31, 2012

Carnival of Genealogy: Women's History Month 2012

For this Carnival, I thought I'd would share what I know about Sarah Mucklow, my great-grandmother.

Sarah was baptized the 16th of September in 1849 in Arrow, Warwickshire. Her parents were John Mucklow and Hannah James. According to Free BMD website, her birth was registered in the September 1/4 1849. This is a record that I could order.

I have her in the census records for 1861 to 1901 -- 1861 in Exhall, 1871 in Alcester, 1881 in Birmingham, 1891 in Aston All Saints Bordesley and 1901, Aston, St. Andrew. So I need to find her in 1851 and 1911.

Sarah married Josiah Dudley 28 July 1867 in Haselor, Warwickshire.

The family story that I have been told about her is that she had 22 children: three sets of twins, two sets of triplets but only four survived to adulthood.

So far, I have found only 5 children
Bertha Ann baptized 10 March 1869 -- she appears on the 1871 census A search of Free BMDs give this listing but not in the 1881 census where you would expect to still find her living with her parents. The following death is likely for her.

death March 1875 quarter

DUDLEY Bertha Ann 6 Derby 7b391


 Next I have Joseph Gilbert.
This could be him
birth March 1875 quarter  Dudley Josiah Gilbert   Derby 7b479


Next I have Charles H. born about 1875
Could this be his birth registration
birth June quarter 1877
Dudley Charles Henry   Bakewell 7b753


Both Joseph and Charles move to the United States to live.

My grandmother, Emily Lily was born 31 January 1884 in Birmingham.
Her registration March quarter 1884

Dudley Emily Lily   Birmingham 6d74


The last known child was Rose who was born 8 May 1889.
This is likely her registration - June quarter 1889.
Dudley Rose May   Aston 6d289


Sarah's husband died 17 November 1901. Josiah's trade had been a bricklayer.

Although, I have been told by relatives that Sarah died in 1922, the registration that looks like a match for her is not until 1924.

Deaths Sep quarter 1924
Dudley Sarah 56 Birmingham 6d 198

As I review what I know about her, I see there are large gaps between some of the known children.  Did she actually have 22 children? That remains to be seen.

---


Baptism: Sarah Mucklow baptismal record Arrow Parish Church, Warwickshire, microfilm 549945, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.

Bertha Ann Dudley baptismal record Alcester Warwickshire Parish Records. FHL #0537290
Sarah Mucklow -- Josiah Dudley marriage Church of England. Parish Church of Haselor p. 26 FHL 557286 item 1
© 2012 Janet Iles Print

3 comments:

  1. The other 17 missing children could keep you busy for a while -- but all kidding aside, I notice in several lines had surprising gaps in the list of children. In some of the families where there were good records, it seems that when the babies came to close together, one or both died in infancy.

    Janet, Thanks for an interesting post that harbors many questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet, are some of the UK BMD records available on familysearch.org these days? Maybe it's just the marriage records that they have so far.

    I think it's interesting that Sarah lived in a different place each census year. Before I began working on family history I used to think that families settled in one place and stayed put; but I now know that's a myth.

    Can you imagine having 22 children! Can you imagine having 5 multiple births! It's easy to imagine that only one of a multiple survived.

    You've done lots of research. I hope you find the other information you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Joan and Nancy for your comments. Their story has always fascinated me and I hope some day I will learn more.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated before being posted. Please no links in your comments. The blog author reserves the right to not post a comment if deemed inappropriate.