Saturday, September 15, 2007

PowerPoint Presentations - Getting the Message Across

The other day when I was talking about goal setting in relation to my upcoming talk for the Grey County Historical Society, I mentioned that as part of my learning in preparation for that day, I was going to be seeking out ideas about creating effective PowerPoint presentations. Although, I could just talk about the history of Knox and its predecessors, I want to show photographs and maps to illustrate what I am talking about. I will use the PowerPoint presentation with projection equipment.

I did some searches of web sites to see what I could find. I have read several books but wanted to see if there was any new information out there. I found Cliff Atkinson's web site sociable media. He has a blog but there are several webinars available. I have watched three of them. Instead of using bullets and lots of text, he talks of creating a storyboard first to get the presentation organized. Each slide has a sentence and a graphic. The speaker provides the detail, about one minute per slide. The webinars introduced me to the Notes view where you type your notes and the slide information is above. He advocates very clean slides with no extra material to ensure learning.

His book, Beyond Bullet Points sounds like one I would like to read.

I have prepared a list of what needs to be done before my presentation with the deadlines that I want to meet. I will keep in mind the points that I learned from the webinars when I am working on my presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated before being posted. Please no links in your comments. The blog author reserves the right to not post a comment if deemed inappropriate.