Monday, July 4, 2011

Wanted Photos

In my previous post, I described the progress I am making on my soldiers' project. What I need now is some more photographs. I went through the manuscript to see what I had and what I needed.

I have great photos of Seth Enos Rawn (contact from Ancestry.ca), William Ira Fulford (contact found through Find-a-Grave) and John A. Thompson (contact to the Regimental Museum of the 48th Highlanders found through the Canadian Virtual War Memorial website).

I have received permission from each of these contacts to use these photos.

For some, I have photos that I found in the newspapers of the time. The quality varies. I have found photos for the following World War I soldiers in the newspapers: William Oswald Fraser, John Gershin Galbraith, Alexander McKay Gunn, Allen Beatty Malcom, Charles Edgar Orford and James Dawson Sheffield. It would be great to have better copies.

Then there are those for whom I don't have any photos. These include the following soldiers: Norman Birge, William Fawcett Campbell, Albert Edward Gaskell, Joseph McDonald, Robert Edward McDonald, Roy Brown McKenzie, Clarence Russell Porter, Cyril Slade, Arthur Frederick Thompson, James Watt and Louis Zeiggel.

"In Grateful Remembrance: Honouring the Men From Knox United, Owen Sound Who Paid the Supreme Sacrifice" will include photographs showing the church buildings through the year and photographs of the church organ, church plaques and local monuments.

Not mentioned in the previous posting is that Knox United Church, Owen Sound will cease to exist at the end of this year. It will be amalgamating with Division Street United Church, Owen Sound to create a new congregation with a new name. This has added to the urgency to have this story documented.
© 2011 Janet Iles Print

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated before being posted. Please no links in your comments. The blog author reserves the right to not post a comment if deemed inappropriate.