Monday, December 6, 2010

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories 2010 -Santa Claus - December 6

Did you ever send a letter to Santa? Did you ever visit Santa and “make a list?”

Yes, I wrote letters to Santa. We saw Santa at the Santa Claus parade. Our parades have not always been in November and in the morning. I can remember walking down in the afternoon and there was tons of snow. (that is how I remember it.) Christmas 1989, although I didn't attend the parade, I remember how much snow there was as I had to make a trip to London to visit my father in hospital. Now I watch the parade on cable TV. Santa would also pay a visit to the Church Christmas Concert. After we got TV broadcasts in this area, we watched Santa on CKNX. 

One of our favourite things in our area, when I was a young person, was to listen to the afternoon broadcast on the radio (CFOS). Santa would be joined by Peek-a-boo (a little elf who was invisible and could report to Santa whether you were good or not - name pronounced by Father Time as Peck a boo) and also Father Time.  Another interesting character was also Jack Frost. Santa would wear special glasses to see Peek-a-boo. Santa would read the letters he had received. 

Each programme would end with everyone repeating the Christmas wish with Santa. Now, is my memory serving me correctly? Do I have it right? Do any of you who are reading this remember these radio broadcasts?

"I wish that all the boys and girls in the world are happy this Christmas and that I can learn to be so good that every day is as happy as Christmas day." Of course Santa would end with a HO, HO, HO! and the "so" in "so good" would be stretched out. 

During the Christmas Fund Broadcast,the radio station would connect with Santa for his message. On Christmas Eve, the Radio Station announcer would check in with Santa to get his final report and the reminder that it was time for little children to go to bed.

 One year, in high school, at our annual Christmas concert, one of skits had our well remembered characters - Santa Claus, Father Time, Jack Frost and Peck-a-boo. 

 I wish had a photo of Peek-a-boo to show  you, but since he is invisible to everyone but Santa Claus you will just have to use your imagination.



© 2010 Janet Iles

2 comments:

  1. I love the part of the story about Peek-a-boo - I always wondered how Santa knew all about me. Now I know!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe thanks for posting this. It's lovely and interesting. I like your imagination and lively description. I have my own way of thinking how Santa found me. Really thanks for sharing this. Laptop Repair Hong Kong

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated before being posted. Please no links in your comments. The blog author reserves the right to not post a comment if deemed inappropriate.