Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories 2010 - December 21 - Christmas music

What songs did your family listen to during Christmas? Did you ever go caroling? Did you have a favorite song?
Do you remember the 78s? I went to the basement to see what old Christmas records had survived. I found these.


I still have a record player. Although, they are a bit scratchy, I put one on to listen to. They bring back memories. After 78s, we graduated to 33 albums and single 45s, then cassettes and now CDs.

We listened to both secular and religious music. Some of the records also had stories.  One orange record had  "It came upon a midnight clear", "Away in a Manger", "The First Noel" and "Hark the Herald Angels Sing". These are still favourites today. On the other side was the narration of "The Night before Christmas". Another disc had "C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S" (a favourite), "Jolly Old Saint Nicholas", "Up on the House Top" and the Village of Christmas Pie."



I can only recall caroling once outdoors.


When my dad was in hospital at Christmas (1989), he was so pleased by the visitors who came to sing carols and of course the visit of the Salvation Army with their musical instruments. I am sure he sang along. Every time I hear or sing Silent Night, I remember that Christmas. That was my dad's last Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. We sang all the Christmas songs -- I was raised a Lutheran, and sang in junior and senior choirs at Church. That was my favorite part of the holidays--singing. My Dad could sing really well, and had been in the same church choir as a youth in the thirties! He kept a diary of all his practices and youthful drama that occurred there. Nothing new under the sun!
    My grandparents knew literally hundreds of songs -- and I recently discovered a list he made in 1909 & 1910! Then he left for America on 12/24/1910 -- 100 years ago. I'm posting his diary of that harrowing trip on my blog: www.familyarchaeologist.com. Take a look at the "Cash and Song" Book. and Terror Atop the Train. I'm new to the blogosphere and hope all you folks with great blogs will take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda - I like to sing the carols too. My father was a great singer. Several of his brothers were soloists, as was his father.

    Your blog looks interesting. I look forward to reading your postings.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated before being posted. Please no links in your comments. The blog author reserves the right to not post a comment if deemed inappropriate.