Saturday, December 12, 2009

Advent Calendar of Memories - Charity

Did your family ever volunteer with a charity such as a soup kitchen, homeless or battered women’s shelter during the holidays? Were you able to make the holidays special for someone less fortunate?

No, my family didn't participate in such activities. Whether any of my relatives or ancestors did, I do not know.

I know that my parents were generous givers to the church and to charities.

In Owen Sound, the Christmas Fund broadcast began in 1940 as an opportunity to raise funds to help the needy with Christmas baskets. The local radio station and the local newspaper celebrated last Sunday with the 70th annual broadcast being aired on CFOS.

To me this is the beginning of the Christmas season. It was always the time to decorate the Christmas tree as we listened to the broadcast. Back in 1940, the aim was to raise money for local needs. When I was younger, I remember it was the Save the Children Fund was the recipient of the funds raised. In more recent years, the funds raised have been distributed amongst various local organizations.

I do not recall whether my dad participated in more than one broadcast as a member of the local Georgian Gentlemen, a barbershop group. My mother helped after the broadcast some years. She went down to the Sun-Times office and received the money that people had pledged during the broadcast.

This year's broadcast showcased some excellent local talent. Since it was the 70th annual, there was lots of reminiscing of past broadcasts and stories about some who had worked for CFOS who have gone on to bigger things. This is the first time, I learned about a ghost at CFOS who know longer haunts the station since the renovations. The pledges and requests and challenges are aired between numbers.

I was very impressed with the talent this year.


© 2009 Janet Iles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated before being posted. Please no links in your comments. The blog author reserves the right to not post a comment if deemed inappropriate.