Sunday, February 15, 2009

Favorite comfort foods

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote Around the Table - Kitchen Style, for the Canadian Carnival of Genealogy. This week's writing prompt is In your kitchen.


I told about some of our favourite foods when I was growing up. I have remembered a couple of other dishes that I didn't mention. These could be classified as comfort foods.


Creamed Salmon on Toast
It is years since I had it. I am sure my mother made a white sauce for it. It is a great family meal especially if you can buy canned salmon at a good price. If you don't wish to make a white sauce, use mushroom soup or comparable straight from the can.

Macaroni and Cheese
The way my mother made it is so easy. My brother says that I can almost make it as good as my mother did.

I do not know exact quantities. I never judge correctly. I usually cook too much macaroni.

Boil water with a little bit of salt. Cook macaroni (about 8 minutes). Drain.

While the macaroni is cooking, grate old cheddar cheese. If you can't be bothered with that just buy grated cheese, but honestly, I don't think it is as good. Grate lots so that you can have enough for about 3 layers of cheese.

Put the following in the greased casserole dish.
A layer of macaroni and then a layer of cheese. Alternate until the dish is almost full with a good layer of cheese on top.
Pour enough milk over the layers until it is almost to the top of the casserole dish. The milk will trickle down between the macaroni.
If your family likes tomatoes, put some drained canned tomatoes on top.

The oven should be pre-heated to about 325 to 350 degrees F.
Bake about an hour. You want the cheese to form a crust.

[As you can tell, there isn't a written recipe for this. I checked my mother's recipe book and it is not there. You make the size you need for your family, or the size of dish you are using.]

2 comments:

  1. We used to have creamed salmon on toast too. I don't remember ever having creamed peas on toast - I think that was a mum's threat if we didn't eat up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure we had creamed peas. I can't remember if they were on toast. I like foods creamed such as creamed corn.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated before being posted. Please no links in your comments. The blog author reserves the right to not post a comment if deemed inappropriate.