Saturday, December 8, 2007

Holiday Parties - Fun had by all

December 9 - Holiday Parties

Did your family throw a holiday party each year? Do you remember attending any holiday parties?

The only holiday parties that I remember hosted by my family were the staff Christmas parties for the staff from our supermarket. For many years, it was held in our home. I started working when I was 14 but I am sure my brother, sister and I got to attend even before we started to work. (at least for the first part of the evening.)

It was a fun evening. The women would dress up in their best outfits. There was a gift exchange, some silly games and some singing. The staff gave my parents a gift. Of course, there was good food to eat. One year, a few of the young men (most in their teens or early 20s) brought their musical instruments and entertained everyone.
When I was in the junior choir at church, the church organist would have a party for all the children in the choir. In those days, the choir was very large. (The boys and girls did not practice together.) The highlight of the party was always the movies that the organist would borrow/rent for us to see. It was a big deal in those days. Many did not have television in the early years and if they did, they only saw one channel or the television was very small. Are there any former Knox junior choir members reading this who remember Victor Kerslake's parties?
This posting is part of the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories hosted by Thomas MacEntee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated before being posted. Please no links in your comments. The blog author reserves the right to not post a comment if deemed inappropriate.