Friday, September 5, 2008

Josh Cassidy - Paralympian

Josh is a member of the Canadian paralympics national team who will be participating in the XIII Paralympic Summer Games from September 6 to 17, 2008 in Beijing, China. He is a wheelchair racer who is competing at his first Olympic Games. He competes in wheelchair 800m 1500m, 5,000m and 10,000m.

Wheelchair Racing is a very fast and exciting sport. . . . Those who have seen the sport have been very entertained by the speeds which exceed 35 khms/h, the catastrophic crashes, and close, neck to neck finishes. [1]
A recent interview with Josh can be found in the Owen Sound Sun-Times
Josh is not only a great athlete but a person with a message.
Ever since I was a child, I have had the mentality that there is nothing that I can't do. I have always found a way to do everything that any able bodied person can do. Sometimes the task may be more difficult for me, however there are also many things which I do better. . . . My message is the same to everyone: there is nothing you can't do, as long as you have the will to do it. It is the "Driving Spirit" in us all which I hope to encourage and inspire. [2]
Unfortunately, I have never seen Josh race so I am hoping that I will be able to catch at least one of his races in Beijing. To get into the finals, racers must qualify in the preliminary races and semis. The Paralympics do not get as much coverage as the Olympics, so only the highlights generally get broadcast.


Canadian Paralympic Committee - Home page with links
Opening Games Coverage on CBC -Saturday, Sept. 6: 19:00 to 20:00 EST = 7 to 8 p.m. [Toronto ] (Opening Ceremony)
See events live on paralympicsport.tv. Also Check Universal Sports The challenge will be to figure out the times and translate the schedules to where you live. Check out parlaympicsporttv on YouTube for submitted videos.



I am proud to say that Josh Cassidy is my cousin. (For those who are interested, Josh is a first cousin, twice removed. His great grandfather was my dad's brother.)

I will also be following Josh on his FaceBook group and cheering him on.

Go Josh Go.

[1] Josh Cassidy "The Driving Spirit" 2
[2] Josh Cassidy "The Driving Spirit" 1

5 comments:

  1. Hello Janet!
    I am so happy to see this article! Josh was a student of Greg Schnurr, so met him through Greg. Josh is such a sweetheart, and I am so very proud of him! I saw him coming into the Bird's Nest tonight. I will watch all his races and be cheering the loudest of all!
    Again, thank you so much for writing this artcle,
    Katie Evans

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie
    I tried to find Josh and also Jason Crone but I couldn't see them amongst the group of Canadians as they came in on the highlights given by CBC.

    I watched some of the program live on the Internet but I missed the first hour and didn't see the Canadians come in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janet,
    Josh was in the first group of cyclists shown, but I almost didn't recognize him because he has cut his hair really short, lol! He looks so different! Here is a link to his Paralympic athlete profile: http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRMP/ENG/BIO/Athlete/4/1206294.shtml
    I THINK he came in 4th in the 5000, but I could be reading the posting incorrectly.
    Stay well,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes he came in 4th in his heat but because of his great time, he will be in the finals for the 5000 meters.

    Go Josh Go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey everybody! im Mary Cassidy, Josh's little sister. I am happy to say that he is back home and sitting right beside me in fact! we are sooo proud of how he did at the paralympics and we are so grateful for the support from people such as yourselves!
    lots of love

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated before being posted. Please no links in your comments. The blog author reserves the right to not post a comment if deemed inappropriate.