Tuesday, July 1, 2008

2008 = Goals Revisited

At the beginning of the year, I posted some of my goals for 2008. As the year is half over, I thought I'd check to see how I have done. Originally, I planned to look at them at the three month point, as suggested by Andrea J. Stenberg at Baby Boomer Entrepreneur. Andrea has reflected on her accomplishments at the mid-way point. I had already begun this process when she posted her recent article.

So, how have I done? Everything we accomplish in life, of course, is not set out through goals that we have thoughtfully considered.

Learning goals - Learning never stops. I wanted to get back to taking genealogy courses so I took an English Research course -- English: Education, Health and Contemporary Records from the National Institute for Genealogical Studies. It has been given me suggestions of more resources that can be helpful in rounding out family histories. I hope to take at least one more course this year.

Client work - With every client, I find there is always something more to learn. Research led me to looking at 1840 American census records. I had not previously looked at them.

Personal research - I haven't done much new in this area. Some of my blog articles will provide stories and photos that I will add to my family history.

So, what have I accomplished? I have provided workshops for the library reference staff concerning genealogical and local history questions. I have provided training to the research group of the local historical society.

My project on First World War soldiers has been put to the side for the time being, but I want to work on it during the last half of the year.

I still need to do some work on reviewing my goals for the next quarter and looking at what I can do to accomplish them.

One goal that I did not state at the beginning of the year was to get more active. I have been pleased that since mid-January, I have been walking regularly, mostly inside at our local arena. It is a great location to do it year round. Most days, I have a walking partner and we walk for about an hour, three to five times a week. Taking in to consideration time needed for travel, it does take up a good part of the afternoon, but nevertheless, walking will continue on my list of things that I will do for the next half of the year, because of the health benefits.

Have you looked at the goals -- genealogy or otherwise that you set at the begining of the year? How have you done? Are you going to change them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated before being posted. Please no links in your comments. The blog author reserves the right to not post a comment if deemed inappropriate.