Saturday, August 18, 2018

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: #33 Family Legend

Two of my family legends revolve around one family.

It is not unusual to have family lore that you are not able to prove. You wonder is there an element of truth in the story. Why would the story be passed down?

Early in my family research, I was told by my cousin Norman in England that Josiah Dudley, my great-grandfather, had been born in Spain, ca 1842, with the surname Zuniga. My dad's mother also said that her brown eyes were from her Spanish roots. The story is that when the family came to England when Josiah was a toddler, the family changed their name by deed poll taking the name of Dudley for Dudley, Warwickshire where they were living. I was intrigued by this story. So I was on the hunt to see what I could find. Well, I have never found anything to support this. 

All the census records that I have found for Josiah and his family have given his place of birth as Alcester, Warwickshire except the 1871 census when it is listed as Arrow. Arrow is a parish within the Alcester District. 


Sarah Mucklow married Josiah Dudley 28 July 1867 in Haselor, Warwickshire. The family story that I have been told about her is that she had 22 children: three sets of twins, two sets of triplets, but only four survived to adulthood. 

I have found only 5 children.
Bertha Ann, baptized 10 March, 1869 -- she appears on the 1871 census but not in the 1881 census where you would expect to still find her living with her parents. The following death is likely for her.

death March 1875 quarter  

DUDLEY Bertha Ann 6 Derby 7b391


 Next I have Joseph or Josiah Gilbert. 
These could be his birth registration.  

birth March 1875 quarter  Dudley Josiah Gilbert
 Derby 7b479


Births Mar 1876

DUDLEY Joseph Chesterfield 7b 689
 Chesterfield district is in Derbyshire.

Births Dec 1874

DUDLEY Joseph Belper 7b 508

In his petition for naturalization in Rhode Island, he gave his date of birth as 21 November 1875 in Derby, England. On his draft card for World War 1, his date of birth is given as 21 November 1874. 

Next I have Charles Henry born about 1877
Could this be his birth registration
birth June quarter 1877

Dudley Charles Henry Bakewell 7b753

Both his draft registration card and declaration of his intention to be naturalized give his date of birth as 21 February 1877. 


Both Joseph and Charles moved to the United States to live.

My grandmother, Emily Lily was born 31 January 1884 in Birmingham. 
Her registration March quarter 1884

Dudley Emily Lily Birmingham 6d74
 I have her birth registration. 
  
The last known child was Rose who was born 8 May 1889. 
This is likely her registration - June quarter 1889.

Dudley Rose May Aston 6d289


There are gaps between births so it is possible Sarah had other pregnancies, but whether she gave birth to other children will likely remain unknown.

The family legends always give rise to challenges to family history researchers.

(c) 2018 Janet Iles Print

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated before being posted. Please no links in your comments. The blog author reserves the right to not post a comment if deemed inappropriate.