Friday, April 6, 2018

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks #14 Maiden Aunt

As one who is a maiden aunt and grand aunt, I am writing about my grand aunt Margaret Love. I had other maiden aunts but she is the one that I know the most about. I wrote about her before during a Carnival of Genealogy.

She often stayed with us at Christmas time. I am fortunate to have some of her photographs. She took many photographs so I can see photographs of relatives that I never met. 

When I was teaching in Northern Ontario, I stopped at her place on the Manitoulin Island.

One story that I can share is about a visit I paid to her. I don't recall what year it was and where I was going at the time, perhaps a visit to St. Joe's Island. 

I took one of the ferries to the Manitoulin, possibly the Chi-Cheemaun and Aunt Margaret was living in Little Current in an apartment. It was late when I arrived. I thought she would be expecting me as I was sure I had written a letter to let her know of my arrival. There was no outside light on. I knocked loudly on door. "Aunt Margaret, it's me Janet." She was surprised to see me at the door. She welcomed me and made up a cot for me to sleep on. I wonder did I send the letter? If not, where did it go?

I have many fond memories of my maiden aunt. 


© 2018 Janet Iles Print

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated before being posted. Please no links in your comments. The blog author reserves the right to not post a comment if deemed inappropriate.