Friday, February 23, 2018

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks #8 Heirloom

What is an heirloom? Merriam-Webster online dictionary provides three definitions. The one that fits this week topic is "something of special value handed down from one generation to another". Wikipedia states, "In popular usage, an heirloom is something, perhaps an antique or some kind of jewelry, that has been passed down for generations through family members".

So do I have any heirlooms? I can't think of anything that has been passed down for generations in my family. In my kitchen cupboard, I have several plates that may have belonged to my maternal grandmother. I have a necklace that my parents gave to my paternal grandmother as a gift. There are photographs that my great aunt Margaret had. I don't have anything that has been passed down for many generations.

Something that I do have that is special and that I look at most days, is the barometer plus thermometer that my dad brought back with him from the Netherlands at the end of the Second World War. I have it hanging it by the door to the garage. I like to check to see if the barometer needle is moving up or done to indicate what way the weather is going. Is there a storm coming? 



The dial has not only the numbers to indicate the barometric pressure but also the following words: STORM, REGEN, VERANERLIJK, MOOI WEER, and ZEER DROOG. I don't like it when I see the needle indicates "Storm" as I know bad weather is coming or happening. As the needle moves toward "Regen", I know rain is coming. When the needle points to "Veranderlijk", the weather is changing. Is the weather improving or is it going to get worse? If you regularly move the adjustable needle, you can see which way the weather is going. I love to see "Mooi weer" because we are having beautiful/good weather. I don't recall ever seeing the needle move to "Zeer doog" to indicate very dry weather.

When I see the barometer, I don't only get informed about the state of the weather but I am reminded of my dad's service during the war and that the Perth Regiment was part of the liberation of the Northern Holland.

© 2018 Janet Iles Print

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated before being posted. Please no links in your comments. The blog author reserves the right to not post a comment if deemed inappropriate.