Saturday, January 13, 2018

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2018 #2 Favourite Photo

It is a challenge to pick a favourite photograph. You don't want to favour one ancestor over another. You don't want to favour one side of the family, but by choosing only one, I did. 

I decided to show the photograph of my great-grandmother Emily Iles nee Pugh. I have told her story and used documentation about her when I talk about the research process or perhaps it can be described as a hunt. It has not always been very systematic. I have written about her on this blog. They have been tagged Pugh family.




I am not sure when or where this photo was taken and by whom. A couple of  years ago, a cousin brought me this photograph. Up until then, I had never seen a photo of her. I couldn't imagine what she looked like. She is all dressed up with her fancy bonnet on her head. It is interesting that this photo has been posted on Ancestry by others researching families that connect with my line.

 She was born in July 1860 in the Maugersbury Workhouse, near Stow-on-the-Wold, Gloucestershire.  Her mother, Hannah Pugh,  nee Cowley and her 11 year old sister, Mary Ann, were living in the Workhouse. Hannah saw to it that her daughter was baptized but no birth registration has been found. No father is mentioned on the baptismal record. When Emily married George Iles, she gave her father's name as Charles Pugh. Her mother had been married to Charles Pugh. 


© 2018 Janet Iles Print

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated before being posted. Please no links in your comments. The blog author reserves the right to not post a comment if deemed inappropriate.