Saturday, March 4, 2017

Who am I named for?

Lisa Alzo, the Accidental Genealogist has writing prompts for March - Women's History Month.

The prompting for yesterday was:

March 3 — Do you share a first name with one of your female ancestors? Perhaps you were named for your great-grandmother, or your name follows a particular naming pattern.

I was named for my maternal grandmother born Janet Gertrude Johnston. I am not sure why she was often referred to as Gertie, but to me she was Grandma Love. She was born in 1883 and died in 1958 when I was eight years old. She was the daughter of Josiah Hemingway Johnston and Agnes Chambers. 

I wrote about her in the 52 Ancestors Challenge.

There are other Janet's in my family tree. These are all on my mother's side of the family.

Janet McKenzie (1816 - 1901) was the daughter of James McKenzie and Catherina Brown. She married Homer Newall. She is my great-great-great aunt.
  


Janet Chambers (1851-1930) was the daughter of James Chambers and Mary McKenzie. She married  Charles Moody.  She is my great-great aunt.

Other Janets (first name) born pre-1900 in my family tree:
Janet Goldie Hagerman (1889 - 1973) - 4th cousin, once removed
Janet Ormiston Johnston (1897 - 1938) - 2nd cousin, twice removed

These are Janets (first name) born pre-1900 who married into my family tree

  • Janet Nettie Irving (1888 - 1960) married James Arthur Love, my first cousin twice removed.
  • Janet Hodgson (1888 - 1913) married William Henry Vincer, my first cousin twice removed.
  • Janet Agnes Livingston (1856 - 1938) married William Henry Helmkay, my third cousin, twice removed.
  • Janet Porter (1892 - 1972) married Cecil Thomas Bishop, my third cousin, twice removed.
  • Janet Hogg (1833-1880) married James Johnston, my great-great-great uncle.


© 2017 Janet Iles Print

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated before being posted. Please no links in your comments. The blog author reserves the right to not post a comment if deemed inappropriate.