Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Advent Calendar of Memories 2013 - December 24 Christmas Eve

I don't remember what we did when I was young. I am sure we tuned into the radio to hear the report of Santa's status. We would likely be excited and have trouble falling to sleep. My great Aunt Margaret spent many Christmas holidays with us when she was living in Southern Ontario. Once we had a television, we would watch special Christmas shows before it was time to get ready for bed. I don't recall ever opening any gifts on Christmas Eve.



In my teen years, I either went to church with my brother and his girl friend or went to one of the churches holding services on a rotation. As an adult, I remember going with my mother and father to our church. They were in the choir on Christmas Eve once they retired.If the weather was co-operative, we would go for a drive after the service and see the Christmas lights. Before the services became family oriented, I showed a Christmas Eve movie with the children in the Sunday School hall. 
 While we had the supermarket, Christmas Eve was a busy one right up to 10 p.m. when they closed. Then my parents had to come home to prepare the bank deposit.
One year we spent Christmas at my sister's and on Christmas Eve we attended the church service there. 
Christmas 2002 was spent in Guatemala. Christmas Eve day is a big day in Guatemala . In the morning we saw some places in Guatemala City. In the afternoon, the extended family started to gather. They all made us feel so welcome. It was such a beautiful warm day and it was great to sit outside and visit. We were able to eat our Christmas turkey dinner outdoors. Some of the family departed for their own homes.

Because of our big dinner was served in the late afternoon, we only had a light supper of the traditional Christmas Eve meal of tamales. During the evening, we could hear firecrackers being set off.
 We were all waiting until midnight.  Ear plugs in place and with my hands over my ears, I went outside the gates of the home into the streets with the other members of the family to watch the lighting of the firecrackers which are in rounds and to see some of the fireworks shooting high above the city. I didn’t last
 very long outside.  Then it was time to open gifts.


Tonight I will attend the Family Service. After that I will likely watch some television.

To all, I wish a Merry Christmas and a time of creating new memories for you and yours.

In the language of my Germanic ancestors Fröhliche Weihnachten. In the languages of my immediate family, I wish all my readers Merry Christmas, Joyeux Noël, and Feliz Navidad.
The Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories (ACCM) allows you to share your family’s holiday history twenty-four different ways during December! 
photo from Christmas 1952 - Ted, Nancy and Janet
updated 2013

© 2013 Janet Iles Print

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated before being posted. Please no links in your comments. The blog author reserves the right to not post a comment if deemed inappropriate.