Thursday, July 1, 2010

Happy Canada Day!

Happy Birthday, Canada! Bonne Fête, Canada.

 Two years ago. I described a special Canada Day for me in 1983 when my parents and I were in Quebec City. I think that was one of the most memorable Canada Days for me, except perhaps for 1978 when my nephew Matthew was born. When he was little, we had some of his birthday parties at our cottage.

Today, to celebrate Canada Day, I attended the opening of the schoolhouse at Grey Roots (our museum). It was a beautiful day for the opening and a large crowd gathered. The building is a replica of SS #1 Derby. Some in attendance had either attended or taught in one room schools. I wasn't one of them, although I did teach school for two years. This building is a great addition to the Moreston Heritage Village.

Here are some photos that I took. I will return sometime on a tour to have a better look at the interior of the school house.


top photo - bandshell with the Owen Sound City Band; next the school house with people waiting for the opening ceremonies; refreshments following the opening and a view of the interior of the school house and the Union Jack flying high on Dominion Day.

© 2010 Janet Iles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated before being posted. Please no links in your comments. The blog author reserves the right to not post a comment if deemed inappropriate.