Saturday, August 8, 2009

August 8 (World War I)

August 8, 1918 marks the date that my great uncle Harold Edward Iles was killed during the First World War. I wrote about him here.

I have two postcards in my collection dated August 8 in France but no year but they would have been written between 1916 to 1918. The postcards were written by my grandfather, William Iles, to his wife and family. He chose this one because he thought that it looked like his eldest son, Clarence.

Both postcards had similar covers.





Most messages from him that I have in my possession were very short, but this one surprised me in its details. The family had taken a trip to Barrie. How they got there I don't know.

What strikes me most are his words,
"I know you have not had many outings, but leave it to me if ever I come home, I shall see you get a good time. I am feeling fine now but longing to be with you all kiss my dear children for me and accept my best love to you all from your ever loving husband Will"
© 2009 Janet Iles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated before being posted. Please no links in your comments. The blog author reserves the right to not post a comment if deemed inappropriate.