Sunday, March 9, 2008

Guatemalan Trip

A week Saturday, I returned from eight days in Guatemala. Why travel to Guatemala? -- mainly because my brother lives there. This was my second visit. For both trips, I travelled with my sister. We had a great time seeing everyone again. While there, I celebrated another birthday. As far as I can recall, this was the first time to celebrate my birthday outside the country. When you have a winter birthday, you don't usually get to enjoy a meal prepared on the barbecue. On the Sunday before my birthday, my brother barbecued hamburgers for some of the extended family. On my actual birthday, I enjoyed breakfast and lunch outside under the thatched roof rancho watching the waves of the Pacific Ocean, a walk along the beach and a dip in the pool.
A visit to Guatemala would be remiss without some time spent in Antigua, Guatemala. We spent part of a day visiting the shops. The lunch at the restaurant at Hotel Posada de Don Rodrigo was delicious and the setting was beautiful. We all chose a typical Guatemalan meal.
After our enjoyable visit, we agreed we would not wait another five years to return. Thanks Doris and Ted for the hospitality. Here are a couple of photos from the trip.
Do you recognize the various foods on the plate? I did not eat everything, I must admit.

5 comments:

  1. I think I know most of the foods on the plate in that gorgeous picture:

    Start lower left to right:
    queso fresco (fresh cheese)
    corn tortilla
    guacamole
    arroz (rice)
    platanos maduros (very ripe plaintain bananas, fried)
    refried black beans

    and in the middle - probably carne asada and it looks like skirt steak

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Thomas. You are correct. The steak was done to my liking. The tortillas are made right there. It was a very delicious meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos, Janet. Having a brother in an exotic place is a great excuse for getting away from our spectacular Canadian winter! I'm enjoying your bog,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janet,

    I know I am commenting on an old post, but I am so excited to read this. You see, we are going to Guatemala next month on a Humanitarian Services Expedition. I am a semi-retired oral surgeon's assistant, and the retired doctor I used to work for invited me to join the group going down there to do dental work. My husband and son are joining me for the ten day trip!

    We have heard some scary things about the safety of the area - what was your experience? We will be in Guatemala City, then some tours to Antigua and Tikal.

    It sounds like you had a lovely time - and it looks like a beautiful place. I'm getting excited to go!

    JoLyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi JoLyn
    I hope you have a wonderful trip. I am sure you will find your trip very rewarding. Guatemala is a beautiful country. I have information that I will send you via e-mail re safety, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated before being posted. Please no links in your comments. The blog author reserves the right to not post a comment if deemed inappropriate.